REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
The Government of the Federated States of Micronesia’s National Oceanic Resource Management Authority (NORMA) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Pacific Regional Oceanscape Program, and intends to apply part of the proceeds toward an ASSISTANT ECONOMIST to be working with FSM NORMA in Pohnpei, FSM.
OBJECTIVE & SCOPE OF WORK
The objective of the assignment is to provide NORMA with sound economic analysis and advice to inform fisheries policy, negotiations, investments and management decisions with the long term objective of maximising and sustaining economic benefits including government revenue.
The Assistant Economist will report to the Assistant Director for the Fisheries Economics and Development Division (FEDD) and undertake the following illustrative duties:
- Support the Senior Fisheries Economist in work of the FEDD; Liaise with external/regional organizations and internal/national entities to support the work of the FEDD;
- Assist with the collection/review/analysis of economic data for economic assessments of domestic companies; collecting/reviewing data on profitability assessments of foreign fishing partners; collect tuna market data and other research work on fisheries in FSM including collecting data/drafting annual Fisheries Economic Indicators report for FSM quarterly Fisheries Trade newsletters.
- Assist with the analysis/review of Vessel Days Scheme (VDS) and pooling arrangements and in reviewing/analyzing regional and national reports on fisheries management and development.
- Assist with reviews on the feasibility, costs and benefits of (public and private) investment proposals in the tuna sector, including onshore developments and assessing the financial integrity and soundness of new companies expressing interest to fish in the FSM
- Assist to evaluate the economic impact of fisheries conservation proposals and declared Marine Protected Areas and
with preparation of briefs and other reports from the FEDD to NORMA Board, Management and stakeholders.
- Represent NORMA in national, regional and international meetings or negotiations as assigned by NORMA.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in economics, business or a related field.
- Experience in data collection processes and surveys.
- Ability to understand cost benefit, financial and other economic analyses.
- Good written and verbal communications skills with fluency in written and spoken English.
- Strong attention to detail, multi-tasking and organizational skills
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT AND REMUNERATION:
The position will be for an initial one (1) year period. (Probationary period of six months and annual performance review determines whether contract would be continued). This is a full time position and may be extended based on satisfactory performance. Salary will be based on the Local Labor Market Pay scale and/or depending on qualifications. This will be a 1-year full-time position starting under special service contract with FSM NORMA.
The FSM NORMA invites applicants to indicate their interest in providing the above-mentioned services by submitting electronic and/or hard copies of:
a) Letter of Interest
b) CV or resume
c) support Degrees/Certificates
d) Name & working contact of 3 referees.
This position will remain open UNTIL FILLED but applications submission is preferable by FEBRUARY 26, 2021. Selection will be in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011 edition). Full Terms of Reference (TOR) can be ob ined from the following and applications can be sent to: