The Government of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) seeks well qualified individuals to fill the position of Senior Fisheries Economist in the Office of National Oceanic Resource Management Authority (NORMA).
The Position: Senior Fisheries Economist
- Facilitate development and implementation of vessel day trading strategies in consultation with relevant partners and stakeholders; thorough review regional and national reports on fisheries management and development;
- Utilize economic models to, inter alia, estimate catch values and profitability of fishing fleets;
- Use this analysis to provide clear and relevant economic recommendations to NORMA management;
- Compile a set of economic indicators for national tuna fisheries sector based on international standardized methodologies; use these indicators for reporting obligations on economic information about the tuna sector to national, sub-regional, regional and international organizations; undertake or assist with economic research activities in collaboration with SPC, FFA and PNAO as needed;
- Assist in providing economic analysis of fisheries development plans and other NORMA collaborative economic research activities as needed; prepare briefs for NORMA management for access negotiations with distant water fishing nations with analysis of catch values and profitability of fleets for comparison with proposed access charges;
- Undertake analysis of options to increase returns through pooling days with other PNA members and the use of tender or auction systems;
- Collect and collate operational and economic data on domestic and locally based vessels, and develop recommendations on concessionary access fees and/or other public support;
- Review and provide recommendations on the feasibility, costs and benefits of (public and private) investment proposals in the tuna sector, including onshore developments; assist in preparing reports to the NORMA Board, and other bodies on the economic aspects of the fishery and returns achieved;
- Prepare monthly and other required reports to management; evaluate the economic impact of fisheries conservation proposals and declared Marine protected Areas;
- Liaise closely with economists working for PFFA and PNAO for mentoring and support; assist with representing NORMA at relevant meetings to secure economic well-being of FSM in the Fisheries sector;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Economics, or fisheries science or related field plus five (5) years of fisheries of working experience in fisheries and./or pacific island administrations is desirable.
The Salary depends upon the qualification of the applicant based on local market rate.
Send application/resume by mail, or e-mail to the following addresses:
Office of Personnel
P.O. Box PS-35
Palikir, Pohnpei FM 96941
Telephone: (691) 320-2618/2642