REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST – COMPETENT AUTHORITY (CA) INSPECTOR
RE-ADVERTISEMENT! – CLOSING DATE: SEPT. 15, 2020
The Government of the Federated States of Micronesia’s National Oceanic Resource Management Authority (NORMA) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Pacific Regional Oceanscape Program, and intends to apply part of the proceeds toward a COMPETENT AUTHORITY (CA) INSPECTOR based at the FSM Department of Health & Social Affairs (FSMDHSA) in Pohnpei, FSM and reporting to the Head of National Food Safety Inspection Program or his designate. The CA Inspector services include:
GENERAL SCOPE OF WORK:
- To provide regulatory inspection and certification services to fishing industry vessels and establishments within Federated States of Micronesia in accordance with the National Food Safety Act (PL 7-116),Subsidiary Food Safety Regulations, associated amendments, as well as the National Control Plan (NCP)and other CA System documents;
- To provide assurances as to the safety and fitness for purpose of fish and fishery products destined for export through a defined certification system;
- To provide advice to other organizations with regard to the safety of fish and fishery products including the other sections within Health, NORMA and other government and non-government agencies and collaborate with such along with relevant industry personnel and those of regional and international organizations.
- Perform routine inspection of food facilities and vessels engaged in receiving, storing or preparation of food and food products for commercial import or export and recommend regarding the formal approval of establishments and vessels;
- To perform sampling and testing as required in the NCP and the National Monitoring Plan and Regulation;
- Effective and accurate recording and reporting of CA official control activities;
- Enter ports of entry, detain and search vehicles/vessels at such port of entry and examine and take samples of articles and anything which is capable of being used for such preparation, packaging, storage, sale or conveyance;
- Collect evidence of contravention of the National Food Safety Act and Regulations, by collecting samples of suspected food, obtaining statements from witnesses and preparing reports of such contravention;
- Act as witness in support of the charges against offenders of the National Food Safety Act and Regulations;
- Investigate food complaints, examine any books, accounts, documents or other records;
- Assist in developing and implementing training programs in Sanitation Management and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) for the food industry;
- Assist States with relevant education activities, surveys/investigations during outbreaks, conduct food inspections/recalls.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in food science, health, fisheries or related field. Associates degree may be acceptable if proven relevant experience.
- 2 years experience in food safety inspection, management, sanitation or related work
- Fluency in the English language.
- Good written and oral communication skills including basic computer skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and under limited supervision with strong attention to detail.
- Willingness to work outside conventional working hours and around fish and on/around fishing vessels.
- Good people skills
- Strong commitment to sanitation and hygiene.
- The incumbent shall undergo one (1) year of field work to be administered by the CA Team Leader. The
- incumbent must also attend, complete and pass the biennial national food safety and health certification training
- course and examination, as set forth in the National Food Safety Act in order to be certified as National Food
- Inspector (also known as CA Inspector).
DURATION OF THE PERIOD:
- The position will be for an initial one (1) year period. (Probationary period of six months and annual
- performance review determines whether contract would be continued). This is a full time position and may be
- extended based on satisfactory performance.
Salary will be based on the Local Labor Market Payscale and/or depending on qualifications. This will be a 1-year full-time position under contract with FSM NORMA.
The FSM NORMA invites applicants to indicate their interest in providing the above-mentioned services by submitting electronic and/or hard copies of a) Letter of Interest, b) CV, c) support Degrees/Certificates and d) 3 reference letters to NORMA. This position will remain open UNTIL FILLED but applications submission is preferable by September 15, 2020. Selection will be in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011 edition). Full Terms of Reference (TOR) can be obtained from the following and applications can be sent to:
Mr. Eugene Pangelinan
NORMA, FSM National Government
2nd floor of Ambros Building
PO Box 122, Kolonia, Pohnpei, FM 96941
Office Telephone: 691-320-2700/5181
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Copy to email@example.com)