Competent Authority (CA) Technical Officer
Category : Opportunities
The Government of the Federated States of Micronesia’s National Oceanic Resource Management Authority (NORMA) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Pacific Regional Oceanscape Program, and intends to apply part of the proceeds toward a COMPETENT AUTHORITY (CA) TECHNICAL OFFICER based at the FSM Department of Health & Social Affairs (FSMDHSA) in Pohnpei, FSM and reporting to the Head of National Food Safety Inspection Program. The CA Technical Officer services include:
GENERAL SCOPE OF WORK
Generally, the CA Technical Officer will guide/mentor, train and provide technical assistance to the Competent
Authority (CA) and be part of the CA team on a daily basis. His/her role is to establish and strengthen the Competent Authority with the aim of assisting the fishing industry to meet its obligation to manufacture and supply safe seafood products in the international market place. Tasks and duties include, but not necessarily be limited to the following:
- Directly support the Head of the National Food Safety Inspections Program and other relevant stakeholders in understanding the government machinery and in establishing a structure for the CA.
- Advise Government on the set up and restructuring of the Competent Authority including review and endorsement of any system and operational documents.
- Take lead in the understanding and implementation of the NCP and Industry Standards to upkeep with changing standards and new market requirements.
- Organize and take lead in the conduct of regulatory verification and visit planning of processing plants and vessels;
- Identify and recommend necessary seafood inspection and verification tools, equipment, instruments, kits and software as well as trainings for CA officers;
- Develop and manage documentation system and assist in the management of the certification system; and
- Familiarize all officers (CA) on all inspection system checklists and spear head its implementation.
- Provide mentoring and training to relevant FSM staff on leadership/teamwork skills and on technical skills such as inspections, auditing and other CA official control functions.as may be appropriate.
- Provide continuous on the job training and mentoring for CA officers on CA official control functions, particularly for new officers recruited in all States of the FSM.
- Support and guide the FSMDHSA and other relevant staff in the daily organization and operation of the CA.
- Train and liaise with both the CA and industry on compliance and understanding of market access requirements;
- Develop working relationships with national and international organizations and develop a mechanism for information exchange and collaboration between organizations.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the FSMDHSA.
- Tertiary qualification in veterinary science, food science, biochemistry, chemistry, biology, microbiology, or related field
- Additional qualifications in sanitary control in fishery products;
- Proven experience in managing and leading and or working as officer of Competent Authorities in PICs and had some experience with countries pursuing EU listing.
- Proven experience in developing people including leaders and developing effective teams.
- Proven experience in dealing with EU, USFDA and other external auditors.
- Qualified and/or demonstratively skilled in regulatory compliance / food safety principles.
- A good working knowledge of English
- Fully computer literate
- Have good people skills, value people and understand leadership and the significance of team work.
Specific professional experience
- Demonstrated understanding of Pacific Institution and regulatory bureaucracy.
- Demonstrated experience of working with national competent authorities and implementing regulatory inspection programmes;
- Demonstrate experience and or has the competency in training and mentoring inspectors on inspections and auditing;
- Demonstrated experience of working with the commercial fishing industry in processing technology, quality control and food safety based on HACCP principles;
- Proven experience in organizing and running official control and regulatory verification activities;
- Demonstrated deep understanding of food hygiene regulations of major trading countries (EU, USA and
Australia/NZ) including Codex Alimentarius standards;
- Demonstrated experience in evaluating compliance in terms of sanitary market access requirements
DURATION OF THE PERIOD
The position will be for an initial 24-month period. (Probationary period of six months and annual performance review determines whether contract would be continued). This is a full time position and may be extended based on performance and availability of funds.
- Salary will be based on the Local Labor Market Payscale and/or depending on qualifications.
- This will be a 2-year full-time position under contract with FSM NORMA.
The FSM NORMA invites consultants to indicate their interest in providing the above-mentioned services by submitting electronic and/or hard copies of Letter of Interest, CV, support Degrees/Certificates and 3 reference letters to NORMA no later than October 20, 2017. Selection will be in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines:
Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011 edition). Full Terms of Reference
(TOR) can be obtained from:
NORMA, FSM National Government
Attn: OKean Ehmes, PROP Coordinator
PO Box 122, Pohnpei, FM 96941
Office Telephone: 691-320-2700/5181