Original job posting at: https://jobs-apac.hudson.com/en-nz/federated-states-of-micronesia-offshore-fisheries-adviser-wellington-129329/
Part-time one year assignment
Fly in fly out – Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM)
June 2017 start date
Offshore Fisheries Adviser – Federated States of Micronesia
- Part-time one year assignment
- Fly in fly out – Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM)
- New Zealand Government support programme
- June 2017 start date
The National Oceanic Resources Management Authority (NORMA) is seeking to build the capacity of staff to manage and develop their offshore fisheries, and improve systems for monitoring, control and surveillance activities.
The Activity supports NORMA’s priorities to:
- Ensure that FSM’s EEZ resources are used in a sustainable way
- Obtain the maximum sustainable economic benefits from the resources; and
- Promote economic security for the nation through their use.
The New Zealand Government has agreed to support this endeavour through the New Zealand Aid Programme. It is intended this support will build NORMA’s capacity to manage their offshore fisheries in a sustainable way, while maximising economic benefits from this resource. This assignment is a component of New Zealand’s wider portfolio of Pacific fisheries investments.
The major focus of this role will be to assist NORMA to deliver against their work plan and set priorities and develop strategies for delivery of the plan. The Adviser will be expected to support and actively contribute to the implementation of an agreed NORMA training plan, in addition to providing ongoing mentoring and coaching to strengthen NORMA’s leadership of the sector.
The key objectives of this role are to build NORMA’s capacity to manage FSM’s offshore fisheries in a sustainable way, while maximising economic benefits from this resource and to provide both technical advice and training/mentoring to NORMA staff.
The responsibilities for this Advisor will include (among other things):
- Provide technical and mentoring support to NORMA staff
- Provide advice to NORMA officials attending bilateral meetings
- Provide economic intelligence to the NORMA team, and build capacity of NORMA staff in this area
- Provide advice on systems improvements to implement improved Port State Measures and traceability systems to combat illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing
- Assess the requirements of NORMA to achieve “Competent Authority” status under the EU-IUU fishing regulations, implement effective Port State Measures, traceability systems and chains of custody, in consultation with the Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA) and the Pacific Community (SPC), assist NORMA to identify areas where specialist assistance is required
- Provide progress reporting on delivery of the priority outputs
The Offshore Fisheries Advisor will work in close collaboration with NORMA and other stakeholders to ensure that work is delivered in line with their needs and is supported by coordinated inputs from other development partners and regional agencies including the Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA) and the World Bank Pacific Islands Regional Oceanscape Program (PROP).
This opportunity will appeal if you are interested in being part of a programme that directly contributes to the enhancement of local communities in the Federated States of Micronesia. This role is up to 1 year with the expectation that at least 184 working days would be spent working with the National Oceanic Resource Management Authority (NORMA) in FSM.
Closing date for applications: 5:00pm (NZT) on Wednesday 24 May 2017
Hudson Global Resources has been engaged to manage the procurement process. Please refer all correspondence, queries or requests for more information and a copy of the full Role Description to:
Associate Director, Hudson, Wellington, New Zealand
Office: +64 4 917 9200
DDI: +64 4 917 9270
Cell: +64 21 429 154